My cellar is full of bags of apples from our adventures in the apple orchards this fall. Do you have this problem?
The thought of a day in the apple orchard with my little family, enjoying the beautiful fall air, and watching Olive run from tree to tree reaching high to grab an apple was so irresistible, however it has filled our house with apples just screaming to be used! Lucky for me, apples are one of my favourite things to bake with.
Today I am sharing one of my favourite apple cake recipes. As far as cakes go, this one ranks pretty high on my list. It is not overly sweet, and is just perfect for a brunch dessert… So get your friends on the horn and invite them over for tea and apple cake!
Apple Cake with Hot Cream Sauce
- APPLE CAKE
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature + more for the pan
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup milk or light cream
- 2 to 3 Golden Delicious apples
- cinnamon sugar (1 Tbsp sugar, ¼ tsp cinnamon)
- icing sugar (optional)
- HOT CREAM SAUCE
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (115 g / 4 oz) unsalted butter
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9-inch round spring form pan.
- In a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and egg until mixture is fluffy and lightened in texture, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine four, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to the creamed butter mixture. Do not overbeat. Mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Peel and core apples. Slice them into ¼-inch wedges.
- Spoon batter into the pan and level with an offset spatula.
- Press apple slices, core side down into the batter, about ¼-inch apart. Work the apple slices in a circular pattern like the spokes of a wheel.
- Sprinkle top of cake with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set on rack to cool.
- To make the hot cream sauce, combine cream, sugar, and butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, immediately reduce heat (to prevent scorching) and let simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar (if using). Pour hot cream sauce over warm apple cake.
27th and Olive http://www.27thandolive.com/