Crust Baked in a Pie
The most important part of any pie – The Crust! Here is the recipe I use for every pie I make. This usually yields 4 crusts for a normal pie plate. I typically use a deep dish pie plate so I get 2 crusts and a little left over for a hand pie or two – BONUS!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cups shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water (cold)
- 2 egg white, beaten
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and salt, mix.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives. The dough should have a pea consistency.
- Add the egg and vinegar and continue to cut in until incorporated.
- Sprinkle cold water over dough 2 tablespoons at a time, cutting in with each addition until dough is soft
- Work dough as little as possible.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on counter top, roll out ¼ of dough to approx 12 inch circle, lay into 9 or 10 inch pie pan, trim edges with knife.
- Fill pie plate with desired filling. Lie top crust over filling.
- Flute edge, using pastry brush lightly brush egg whites over crusts edge.
- Bake your delicious pie in the oven according to the filling pie recipe!
Olive says “Easy as pie!”